Re: 2000 rebuild

To: "Jason Van Slyke" <jvanslyke@ixpres.com>
Subject: Re: 2000 rebuild
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:02:56 -0800
  You must be kidding!  No sane person would buy a 30 year old car that
isn't worth a dime broke and barley worth a quarter fixed and sink any money
into at all! .... That's why we buy them in the first place, .... we're all
crazy about roadsters!
  If you are rebuilding to sell for profit, you are crazy.  If you are
rebuilding for the pleasure of driving one great car you're crazy enough to
fit right in with the rest of us.
  I bought my 1600 for $2000 + $1700 for the body work, fenders and paint,
$500 on seats and the interior, $200 went under the hood and throw in
another $250 misc..  And that was just the first year to get it running and
looking okay.  In the basement waiting for spring installation are a roll
bar, 4 new KBY shocks, a new soft top, and the front bow is headed to
California for straightening.   Now I have invested over $5200 for a car I
love to drive; a car that has led me to many a new friend both here in Ohio
( Go OROC ) and across the US from New York ( Hi Tom! ) to California ( Go
BADROC ); a car that is still awaiting re-chroming  for the painted bumper,
grill and headlight bezels, and most importantly, a car I might be able to
sell for about $3500 if I was lucky.
  A quick recap:  $5200+ invested less actual worth $3500 = a loss of $1700?
Only if you don't count the priceless friends and memories and the value of
that big smile on my face every time I fire it up and head out the driveway
again.
  So as I started to say, crazy, ... you bet.  Go for it and Enjoy the Ride!

Paul
OROC