2000 rebuild

To: "'datsun list'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2000 rebuild
From: Jason Van Slyke <jvanslyke@ixpres.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:39:31 -0800
I have had quite a few suggestions for my rebuild-thanks to all.  I have
some other questions:

Should I replace the oil pump?  Datsun or someone else?
Replace the water pump? Datsun or aftermarket?
When I pull the engine out and take off the transmission, can the engine
rest on the ground as is?
Anything specific I MUST replace no matter what (other than gaskets)?
Can the transmission be eyeballed for its condition?  Is pulling just the
5th gear to be undercut (I think that was the modification every one
suggests) easy to do?  Should I be afraid of transmissions?

Are there any other While-I've-Got-The-Engine-Out-I-Might-As-Well things?
 Brake master cylinder, etc?

Finally, am I sane to want to get into this rebuild?

Regards,
Jason Van Slyke