Re: fuel gauge

To: Gary Gerding <ggerding@tconl.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuel gauge
From: mg boy <mgmidgetboy@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:05:26 -0800 (PST)
List,

 I have experienced the same problem with an MG Midget.
The problem was not electrical, but rather mechanical.
The plastic float developed a "leak" and partially filled with fuel.
This allowed the float to sit partially submersed in the fuel rather
than on the surface.  I was told that this is a common ailment in the
MG sending units.  This problem will continue until the "float will
sink."

To replace the float, I had to drop the tank.  The sending unit was
not accessible from the floor of the trunk (MGB's do provide access,
Midgets do not).

So, if the unit is similar to the MGB's, then I would check with the
local MG repairman to see if you can purchase "just the float."  I
could and it cost me $5.00.  You can obtain a MGB catalog in pdf
format from Moss Motors.

http://www.mossmotors.com/cataloglayout/pdfs/mgb/MGB.html

Just my $0.02.  Hope it helps.

Cheers,