Re: uh-oh bad water pump??

To: dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu
Subject: Re: uh-oh bad water pump??
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:44:02 EST
In a message dated 2/7/99 6:53:41 PM Mountain Standard Time,
dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu writes:

<< Hello All,

         How does one tell if your water pump is bad?? I have been messing
 around with the thermostatic fan clutch and pulleys lately.  I noticed
 today that there is a drip of water which appears to be coming from the
 place whre the water pump shaft leaves the water pump housing.  I checked
 the nearby hoses and they do not appear to be leaking.  I also have noticed
 a light rattleing sound that is coming from that part of the engine.  I
 only hear this sound at about 3000rpm then it goes away..could this be from
 the waterpump?  Could my monkeying around with it of damaged the seal?? Are
 the seals that fragile??
         What do you think I should do?

                         Daniel 69 2000

Daniel,

If the water pump is leaking, it is bad.  I doubt you could have caused it to
leak , probably just worn out.  Generally you have some time you can keep
running it without hurting the engine, but it will get progressively worse, so
I would go ahead and purchase another soon.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque