Re: uh-oh bad water pump??

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: uh-oh bad water pump??
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 99 13:33:18 CST
>From dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu Mon Feb  8 13:03:29 1999
 >
>  IT appears to be dripping water (only when running) from where the shaft
>that the fan clutch is attached to leaves the pump 'body'

Weep holes are usually full of years worth of dirt/oil/junk. Water
goes out around the bearing. Bearing is typically sealed, but the
water will damage it (most seals are not perfect... ideal for dust,
not water immersion).

 >      WHen you say properly tightened.. could too tight a fan belt have
>caused the pump bearing to fail?? I think that after I installed my fancy
>alt. I drove around a while with the free play being barely 1/4"...

You can ruin bearings (alternator bearings take a beating, too) with
too tight of a belt.

I remember talking with one fellow who complained about how cheap
datsun water pumps were... his kept failing. Turns out he was using
a 4 foot pry bar to make sure that belt was "good and tight". Pumps
lasted about 6 months with that tight of a belt.

So if you can press, with good force, the belt and get 1/2" of play...
you're doing fine.  Actually a 1/4 to 1/2" should be fine. If the
belt squels... It needs to be replaced, or you can get some "belt
dressing" (spray can stuff). No need for a 4' pry bar.

Cheers,

Tom