Re: buying a car long distance

To: horne@cs.utexas.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: buying a car long distance
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:39:06 EST
Pat,

If it is possible pay with a credit card.  If you send a personal check or a
cashier's check, and something that goes wrong (like you never get the car)
you have very little recourse other than legal means which take a long time
and probably won't get your money back.  I've had this happen, though not on a
car transaction and it's not a pleasant thing.

If you pay with a credit card, and you don't receive what you were supposed
to, you can protest it with your card issuer and they will credit your account
while it is argued with the vendor.  It gives you a lot more leverage.

It would be better if there was a way to take possession when the money is
exchanged, but that may not be practical.

Anyway, here's hoping everything goes well with the purchase and that you
fully enjoy your new car.  Almost all of my dealings with people in the car
community have been totally enjoyable and I hope this one is good for you.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque