Re: uh-oh bad water pump??

To: walter@omni.sps.mot.com
Subject: Re: uh-oh bad water pump??
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:00:27 -0800 (PST)

> Things to check around the water pump (U20):
>
> Water Leaks:  Most common problem. There is a "packing" or seal
>      in the back of the pump. If you use a flash light, mirror,
>      and a CLEAN ENGINE you'll see the weep hole on the pump.
>      Water should not be leaking out of the weep holes, unless
>      the seal goes bad. Replace the pump.

  IT appears to be dripping water (only when running) from where the shaft
that the fan clutch is attached to leaves the pump 'body'

> Pump Bearings. Usually I slipp off the fan belt, and wiggle the
>      fan. With my "tuned fingers" I can feel a sloppy bearing,
>      but it is rare for the bearings to fail if the belt was
>      always properly tightened. (about 1/2" freeplay when pressed
>      with my thumb. Engine OFF obiously). Pump is noisy. Replace it.

   Does anyone have an idea how easy it is to ruin the pump bearings?  I am
trying to figure out if I ruined them by taking the fan on and off.  I ran
with no fan for a while but the fan clutch was still attached. Then I bolted
back on the 7 blade fan without most of the 'clutch' parts and went on the
badroc cruise. I took the fan blade off and now it appears to be leaking?
Was it just my pumps time to go or did I help it along the way? WH
        WHen you say properly tightened.. could too tight a fan belt have
caused the pump bearing to fail?? I think that after I installed my fancy
alt. I drove around a while with the free play being barely 1/4"...

                Daniel 69 2000