uh-oh bad water pump??

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: uh-oh bad water pump??
From: dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 17:51:13 -0800
Hello All,

        How does one tell if your water pump is bad?? I have been messing
around with the thermostatic fan clutch and pulleys lately.  I noticed
today that there is a drip of water which appears to be coming from the
place whre the water pump shaft leaves the water pump housing.  I checked
the nearby hoses and they do not appear to be leaking.  I also have noticed
a light rattleing sound that is coming from that part of the engine.  I
only hear this sound at about 3000rpm then it goes away..could this be from
the waterpump?  Could my monkeying around with it of damaged the seal?? Are
the seals that fragile??
        What do you think I should do?

                        Daniel 69 2000