Re: synthetic oil?

To: DEVierling@aol.com
Subject: Re: synthetic oil?
From: Phil <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:47:23 -0700
I'm guessing there will be comments all over the board on this one, but let me
relay my experience with synthetic gear oil.

In my workplace, we have things called vibratory feeders.  They have a "shaker"
that is some unbalanced driven weights.  One of them burned up the shaker.  We
replaced it with a rebuilt unit (that already had oil on it).  It burned up in a
day.  We replaced it with another rebuilt unit, and put a thermometer on it.  In
12 hours it was over 250F, so our maintenance supervisor called the
manufacturer.  They asked what kind of oil was in it, and indicated that
synthetic is a requirement.  So we drained it, and put in synthetic.  The
temperature came down below 150 in about one hour, and has been on the equipment
for 3 years since without any problems.

So, it sounds like a testimonial, but I'm sold on synthetic oil, unless you are
leaking enough that it isn't worth your money to use it.  In which case, you
need
to find that leak and fix it.

Phil Bates