Re: GT6 running hot

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 running hot
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 10:14:57 PDT
"They all do that".

Seriously - the cars tend to run hot. There are many things you can do about it.

Do you have a shroud around the radiator? The factory provided a
fibreboard unit that tends to rot away with time. I made some out of
aluminum and drilled (carefully, now, you wouldn't want to nick a
tube!) into the steel frame of the radiator and installed rivnuts to
hold it. This can make a big difference.

You can back flush the system (the prestone kit works pretty well.)
This might help. Make sure that you drain/flush the block.

You can get your existing radiator rodded out. This will help a lot.
However, if your existing radiator has ever had trouble, there's a good
chance that one or more tubes have been crimped off and aren't passing
coolant; this is a bad thing, as the stock radiator was marginal for the engine.

So then you get a new core. If you do, find a decent radiator shop that
will order you a 5-row core; it'll cost a bit more (like, $180 instead
of $150, last I remember) but make a big difference in cooling.

You can add an oil cooler. This isn't hard, but it's important to do it
right, so that the cooler actually gets airflow. I mounted mine to the
outside of radiator on the driver's side; this took some fabrication.
The spin on adapter that TRF sells can be used, if you find the right
oil filter; I'll have to check my notes to see what I used.

You can coat/wrap your exhaust header; this will take some heat out of
the engine compartment and allow the engine to run a bit cooler.

It's worth checking the gauge by opening the radiator cap and sticking
a candy thermometer down into the stream of water coming from the
thermostat housing. The car will probably always smell somewhat hot...