GT6 running hot

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 running hot
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 13:49:24 -0500
Well, the paint and interior may be done, but it's back to the usual lbc
afflictions...

The '6 runs hot...always has. I know they do this, but mine seems to get
REAL close to overheating. I replaced the rad. cap and put in a 'cold'
thermostat. The timing is set at the factory spec of 4deg ATDC. I'msure
this is a smog rec. and it would probably run better at about 5deg BTDC (both
dynamic settings).

It runs slightly rich, so it's not the carb setting. What are we left with?
The head gasket? No evidence of it being bad...no oil loss, no water in oil,
no oil in water, no escaping exhaut gas in the radiator. Could use the
radiator being flushed? Valve lash? I reset it when I first got the car
a few months ago...0.10 when stone cold using the 13 rule AND double checking
w/ the factory manual.

It runs at 65mph with the needle about 1/8 in from the red on he guage. Could
be a bad voltage regulator on the speedo? I don't think so....the gusage
seems to act normally on cool nights, even though the fuel guage is a tad
bit optimistic. However....the engine just smells 'hot'....if you know
what I mean. maybe I just have a car which runs hotter than normal? My first
Midget ran real hot, while my second ran ice cold, although they were pretty
much the same car!

Marcus