Bentley from 1968

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Bentley from 1968
From: harrold@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (Dick Harrold)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 12:27:33 -0500
I've been looking at a '68 Bentley.  Everything seems to be there and in
proper working order.  It is in remarkably good condition with few signs of
use.  Has a little over 32,000 miles on the clock.  However I have not had
the opportunity to drive the car as yet, what with my busy golf schedule,
afternoons at the club and garden parties you know!

I was talking to an elderly woman, surprisingly quite knowledgeable in the
world of autos, and she said she had been given a new '68 by her late
husband.  Following his death she traded it in on a '92 Rolls and says she
is glad the Bentley is gone!  The woman reports that the Bentley was a
beast to drive, that it was rough riding and that the steering was
terrible.  She tells me that the steering wheel would not return after
negotiating a corner but had to be hauled back to center.  She adds that
the Rolls is a delight to drive but a bit cumbersome about town and admits
to using "a cute little Mercedes" for errands!

While the price of the Bentley seems quite reasonable, I don't want to
become the owner of a beast I will hate to drive.  I plan to use it
primarily for long hauls and not as a grocery getter.  Please, after all...
 Are there any Bentley fanciers out there who could shed a little more
light on the driving characteristics of a '68?

I've always wanted to look like Mr. Gotrocks!  Do banks loan money on such
foolish dreams?  The Rolls, by the way, impressed me.  The workmanship
seems much improved over a few years ago.  What a reassuring surprise.

Dick

Dick Harrold
HARROLD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Integrated Technologies
Indiana University at Indianapolis (IUPUI)