Re: Stuff I Learned at the Evolution School

Subject: Re: Stuff I Learned at the Evolution School
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:07:00 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net wrote:
> For me, LFB has two primary advantages:  quicker gas-brake and brake-gas
> transitions, and smoother transitions.  Esoterica like modulating both
> pedals at the same time is way down the list for me - though it could be a
> benefit for turbo cars, I imagine.

I'd agree with that 100%.  I've been LFB-ing since about 2 months after I
started autoxing.  By now, its super natural and RFB-ing feels sorta
un-natural.

There are some disadvantages though, IMHO.

1) you gotta do the foot dance if you need to shift.  With courses getting
faster, this seems to be reasonably important in cars, particularly stock
classes.  Its embarrasing when you go to shift and the car stops instead
:-)

2) its almost _too_ easy to apply the brake.  Sam Strano once mentioned to
me that intermediate drivers who LFB almost always use too much brake for
a given "non-heaving braking required" situation.  He was of the opinion
that the longer transition time from gas to brake of a RFB-er lets them
sense a little better that the car has slowed enough just from a lift.

MHO, yadda, yadda.  Certainly the transition time from gas to brake is
less LFB vs RFB, but I'm not sure I believe that that's an important thing
in terms of overall run time.  Couple that with the need to teach yourself
feel, the need to keep your feet straight when shifting is involved, and
the tendency to overbrake, and I think LFB-ing is a skill that can wait
until the other, more important things have been addressed (looking ahead,
using all of the course, setting up the car, etc. etc.)

Mark