Re: Stuff I Learned at the Evolution School

To: <joboyle@hpux.students.engr.scu.edu>,
Subject: Re: Stuff I Learned at the Evolution School
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:52:35 -0700
> - That all of the good drivers (read instructors) left foot brake
> - That you can't just 'try' left foot braking
> - That sometimes it's not worth going back to 1st gear
> - That sometimes it IS worth going back to 1st gear

I got a good illustration of both of those things this weekend - went to a
Reno region event and co-drove with Eric Gangloff, who has been sighted at SFR
events in his pewter C5.

They have a beautiful site at Stead airport, and had a fast smooth course on
it.  Near the end of the longest straight (which ended in a wide 180 left) was
an interesting little element they called the "eye of the needle"; basically a
triad of cones in the middle of the course, forcing you to take the inside or
outside "chutes"  (or, of course, option "C", run over all three cones!).
Anyway, it was just a visual distraction.  However, we were using it as a
braking marker for the following left.  I kept telling Eric "brake right after
the needle"  and he kept sailing off the end of the course.  After two or
three shots at this I realized that he was right-foot braking, and changed it
to "uh, maybe you'd better brake right BEFORE the needle"!  Just the
switchover time was enough to put him 20 feet past his turn-in point at that
speed.

Of course, the fun part is that before my last run of the day I decided that I
should really be shifting down to first at that following left hander.  Got to
just after the needle, went to brake with my right foot, and shot off the end
of the course.  Doh!!

I guess I've gotten to the point where my feet automagically know which one is
supposed to be braking if I need to shift, but not yet to the point where I
have my braking points compensated yet!

KeS