Re: Are your events open to all who come and want to run

To: "Jim Ourand" <racenumbers@cox.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Are your events open to all who come and want to run
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:08:39 -0700
CalClub:

>Subject: Are your events open to all who come and want to run

> In ongoing discussions about the rapid growth of our sport, there is some
> belief that it is part of our "SCCA charter" to welcome all who come.
>
> Realizing that a big event for a small region might be 80 drivers, while
> bigger regions routinely handle 200 to 300 cars; how does your region
handle
> "big" events.

We run around 275-300

> Do you just take everyone who shows up regardless of total turnout?

Yes

> Do you require SCCA Membership?

No

> Do you cap entry levels?

No

> Do you reduce or eliminate Novice classes?

No (novices run with their regular class, but are scored and indexed
seperately)

> Do you reduce or eliminate Time Only Runs?

Sometimes

All that being said, we feel we are near the limit and it is a regular
topic.  All sorts of ideas are thrown out including a 2 day event with 1/2
the classes on Saturday and 1/2 on Sunday. We were overwhelmed at a recent
night event that in the past only drew around 150 but this time drew 300,
yet with everyone pulling together, we actually did it in the same amount of
time as we did the previous 150 entry event.  Big events simply force
greater efficiency, although it will get tougher as the amount of daylight
lessens.

Rick Brown
CSCC Solo2 Timing & Scoring