Re: Nationals (something I liked)

To: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>,
Subject: Re: Nationals (something I liked)
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:30:47 -0500
Sorry, Eric, but you are talking apples and oranges here.

Stock class cars (including STS like yours) are designed to run forever,
idle while remaining cool, etc.

P and M cars are not. They are designed for cooling by having air pushed
through a radiator at speed. They are not designed to idle endlessly. They
don't have to sit in traffic, wait for red lights, drive at 10 mph through
crowded mall parking lots, or run up 12,000 miles a year on the odometer. P
and M cars are not built for that purpose, so expecting them to endure the
stresses of cars that are, is unreasonable. They are built for brief bursts
of performance in the overt recognition that the very aspects that provide
that performance make them wholly unsuitable for regular street-type
driving.

To say that a P/M car should not overheat, should carry
generators/alternators, should always start easily with on-board power, is
like saying we should all have DOT treaded tires, windshields and headlights
so we can do the same things your car can (i.e. play in traffic). The whole
point of P and M is we do not want to do the same things your car can, we
want something more (or at least something different).

My car is a race car. Yours is a street car. That does not mean either is
better (although each has aspects that is better than the other). It only
means they are different. Thus, they have different expectations and require
different treatment and considerations.

This is not a "responsibility" issue. It is a matter of imposing a procedure
that runs contrary to the design philosophy of at least two entire
categories of cars. My responsibility is to build a legal car for my class.
This I have.

If you want to sit idling in a line 10 cars long, feel free. Just don't
insist that I do the same. And I won't insist you put an 8-point rollcage
and a scattershield into your car.

--Rocky