Re: Big Brother is watching

To: "brianbec1" <brianbec1@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Big Brother is watching
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 15:42:27 -0400
At 12:17 PM 6/23/01 -0700, brianbec1 wrote:
>It's real.  Happened to a friend of mine, & I was present (I helped him tow).
>Details: service manager downloaded OBDII (or is it III?) from my friend's
'99
>Hardtop vette (not Z06).  Data showed multiple overrevving events (a.k.a.
>"aggressive heel-toe downshifts" :-).  Warranty denied on bent valve & piston
>damage.

Question?

Did your friend actually overrev the engine on downshifts (which rev
limiters obviously won't prevent if you let the clutch out) by shifting to
say a 70 mph at redline gear at say 80 mph? Instant serious overrev!

If so, then I understand why the warranty might be denied . . . for
incompetent driving. There was no defect (If he overrev'd). He simply
"broke it" as effectively as if he had "crashed".

However, if he rev'd it to the revlimiter (usually somewhat beyond
indicated "redline") a bunch of times on upshifts or while holding a gear,
then LOTs of us are in trouble on our warranty:-) Ask me how many times my
01 Mustang hit the rev limiter at a track event. Of course, I should
replace the somewhat abused rotors, tires, and tie rod end boots before
taking the car to the dealer for warranty work.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford