Re: Big Brother is watching

To: "Digest Auto-x" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Big Brother is watching
From: "Ron Katona" <rkatona@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 08:01:11 -0400
"brianbec1" <brianbec1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Not as massively as you suggested, but he did overrev on down shifts. I
>don't know whether the OBD distinquishes between riding the rev limiter
and
>downshift overrevs, but it seems that it would have the data to make
the
>distinction.

It should be easy to tell from the severity of the overrev. I'm sure
it's possible to exceed the actual rev-limit by maybe 100 rpm or so by
just keeping the go pedal floored due to the momentum of the car and the
action of 'bouncing" off the limiter. However, I doubt GM allowed that
small a cushion between the limiter and the point of engine damage.
OBD-II will record and store the max rpm. If they read an rpm that's
high enough to damage this motor it will be obvious that it is not due
to hitting the rev-limiter, but a missed shift or premature downshift.

Basically, he's hosed.
--
Ron Katona