Re: velocity

To: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Subject: Re: velocity
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:59:07 -0400
Jamie Sculerati wrote:
> Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com> wrote:
>> Curious.  My rule book says something about speeds on straight
>> stretches not normally exceeding the low 60's for the fastest stock
>> and street prepared cars.  And this wasn't even a straight.
>
> I think the escape clause there is "not normally."  The phrase
> earlier in the book is "contemplated."

The next sentence (2.1.A, page 49) says "The fastest portions of the
course shall be those most remote from spectators and property."

I was in grid space 45 on the A grid on the South -- the first space
in the last row, where cars were approaching at 65+ miles per hour
coming up the uphill Larry Park memorial straight and braking hard,
facing directly at me and not all that far away.  I can tell you,
sitting strapped into my FF and watching cars come steaming in, it was
pretty scary.

I'm not aware of anything bad that happened there all week, but I'm
surprised this one made it past the course review stage in April.

Mark