Re: velocity

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: velocity
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:38:08 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
> Jamie Sculerati wrote:
> > Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com> wrote:
> >> Curious.  My rule book says something about speeds on straight
> >> stretches not normally exceeding the low 60's for the fastest stock
> >> and street prepared cars.  And this wasn't even a straight.
> >
> > I think the escape clause there is "not normally."  The phrase
> > earlier in the book is "contemplated."
>
> The next sentence (2.1.A, page 49) says "The fastest portions of the
> course shall be those most remote from spectators and property."

But with very limited distribution of the course map and no prior hot laps
(that I've heard of) prior to the event, how do you know where and how fast
the fastest portions are?  Sometimes picking them out is a no-brainer, but
I've seen (and built!) courses where a "slow" portion turned out to be
faster than expected, just because a couple drivers saw a different line
than the designer and made use of it.

I agree -- aiming a runoff area at the grid is, umm, unwise.  But it's
entirely possible the designer was scratching his or her head wondering "how
did that section end up so fast?"  We're stuck with a rather imprecise
science.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing