Re: Uh oh, M3s in ESP... again! (was: Re: more peru musings)

To: Jeff@Winchell.Com
Subject: Re: Uh oh, M3s in ESP... again! (was: Re: more peru musings)
From: Ron Katona <rkatona@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 19:24:34 -0400
Jeff Winchell wrote:
[some things cut for brevity throughout]
> Bob's time at Peru was 1.6 seconds FASTER than the 1st place CSP
> car.

And at the Solo-II nationals last year he finished 11th in CSP, about
1.5 seconds SLOWER than the winner. That's most likely the fastest SP M3
in the world, and it's an also ran (did it rain during his run?). I
can't accept this argument based on a couple tour events.

Also in the data in that letter, the 1.5% reduction in times assumed for
the M3 going from BFGs to Hoosiers is a nice touch. _I'd_ be 1.5% slower
with the BFGs, maybe Bob isn't. I know a lot of road racers who tell me
that these tires are as fast as anything out there, but are a total and
complete b*tch to drive. Maybe Bob knows how. Since we don't run on road
courses, there's no way to directly compare times from one year to
another. Taking the data and subtracting a 1.5% correction factor to
help make a point is lousy science.

> I'll bet a $1000 on it Ron. And if I get another couple dozen takers,
> perhaps I can recoup the loss I'll take having to sell my ESP ponycar
> because it has no prayer against the M3s.

M3_s_... or one particular M3? That's what I've been wondering all
along.

My heart would certainly go out to you. After all, ponycars have a
mandate from God to be competitive in ESP. Of course, since I have
unlimited wealth (I must, I drive a BMW... right?), I could donate my M3
(which I spent the winter modifying to $P spec because the car is now
outclassed in AS) to the orphanage and buy a C5 to run in BSP at the
drop of a hat. No problem... "Oh Jeeves... be a sport and get my
checkbook. Now write a $45,000 check to Chevrolet old chap."

And I'd bet $1000 that if Bob had developed and driven a Camaro for the
past five years, he'd still win that ESP championship this year. The
only difference is that no one would be complaining about it because he
would be in the politically correct car for the class.
--
Ron Katona