Re: Flip Over at Route 666

To: TeamZ3@aol.com
Subject: Re: Flip Over at Route 666
From: Benjamin D Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 06:56:03 -0400
Don't get me wrong. I don't want to be chairing an event where even
property damage happens. I want to do everything I can to keep that from
happening. The point of my post on the incidents at Rt 66 raceway are:

1. People who weren't there shouldn't jump to conclusions
2. Often people's attempts to cut down the speed at an event by putting
in offsets makes the course MORE likely to see property damage. Those
high speed offsets can and do cause high speed spins.

As to your mention of high speed straight leading to 90 degree turn with
25' to curb, these are especially bad IF someone has put a little kink in
just before that 90 so the braking zone isn't straight. My Corvette
doesn't care because I have ABS. But the other cars without such
amenities are getting set up for a nasty ride.