Re: Flip Over at Route 666

To: bthatch@juno.com
Subject: Re: Flip Over at Route 666
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 18:36:19 EDT
bthatch@juno.com writes:

>  I'm a lot more concerned about personal injury than property damage. A
>  crunched fender or a munched wheel and suspension from a curb are not
>  causes for alarm.

I strongly believe that the vast majority of autocrossers disagree with this
statement, including myself.  If we weren't worried about physical damage, or
the cost thereof, many of us would be getting tons more seat time road racing
rather than spending *all* day baking in a parking lot for 3 minutes of seat
time.  I also doubt that very many site owners would be comfortable with
property damage considering their potential liability for personal injury,
either.  Anyone who doesn't think the two go potentially hand-in-hand is
kidding themself.

I'm not advocating slowing everything down, but I certainly don't believe in
taking unnecessary risks; curbs only 25 ft dead ahead of max speed braking
zones, poles/curbs in spin-off range, etc.  Property and/or physical damage
is *never* acceptable under any circumstance.

"Better safe than sorry" is a phrase that anyone who has ever experienced
being *sorry* can appreciate. Safety requires foresight; hindsight is always
too little, too late.

M Sipe