Re: National Tour points

To: mikelowe@pop.c-com.net
Subject: Re: National Tour points
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:26:05 -0500
mikelowe@pop.c-com.net wrote:

> > Why is there no National Tour points ranking? I think someone touched on
> > this
> > awhile back. I think it would be a great idea.
>
>      If there was nationwide ranking, people that really dig
> championships would be forced to attend events across the country.

Forced?  Hardly.  But the more competitive drivers would be encouraged
to attend more of the events.  And to me, that would be the big
advantage of having a season points champion...

>      The cool thing about National Tours is that we get
> Denver-administrated (with local officials) events.  But they are
> _seperate_ events.

That is cool.  But the coolest thing about NT's is not the administration,
but rather the national quality competition.  I don't often see national
champs driving at my local events... there were several at the nearby NT.
That's the only way to really gauge your own progress -- and it is a huge
opportunity to learn some more.

Racer ray responded:
>      Actually I agree with you. But it wouldn't exactly be forced attendance.
> What it would be is a chance for someone with a lot of free time and travel
> money to go all over the country and at the season's end say "Look at me! I'm
> a Champion!" They would go from event to event racking up points even if they
> never won a single event and would have a "Championship" that meant
> absolutely nothing.

There is an easy solution:  make the points total be based on your top 3 events.
Then the guy willing to go to all of them only gets a minor advantage.  And a
top
driver could win travelling just to the nearest three events.

I think a National Tour season points championship would be a very good thing.
I can think of no real downside.

Brian