Re: SP Proposal

To: Scotty *BOB* White <we2fat4asp@seanet.com>
Subject: Re: SP Proposal
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 11:48:43 -0700
Scotty *BOB* White wrote:

> > So why don't we bump the Miatas to A-Stock? They dominate the class,
> >and there have yet to be shown any other cars in the class that can
> >compete. :-)
>
>    You miss the point here dude! There a bazillion Miatas on lots every day
> for wayyyyyy under $20k.

        That was a joke Scotty.

> Find me an Elan for that kinda money that's Sp prepared?

        Find me -any- ASP car that's fully prepared for way under $20k. Lotus
or not. I don't think it can be done. The point is, and I think we can
all acknowledge this, ASP is an expensive class. The fact that the Lotus
Elan is still such a good car for the class is a testament to the
quality of the car and the skill of its drivers. The mazda RX-3 is a
rare find (admittedly not as rare as an elan) and is also a tough to
beat SP car. Should we ban that one too?

> These guys in SCCA say the reason that the Viper and the 993TT are
> in sp and not stock is largely beacuse they are not readily available to all
> (read too expensive) so what in the hell is the difference with the 35 year
> old Lotus??!! I submit, NONE!

        A 35 year old lotus is not $70k. And the Viper consumed SS the very
first year it was classed. It's not so much that the car is expensive
and somewhat hard to find (although a Viper is not exactly rare). Is
that it's the fact that it is/was so dominant -and- it's extremely
expensive. If only the filthy rich can afford to buy the car for the
class in a stock category, then it no longer befits the grassroots
nature of the sport. Hell, I couldn't afford a 93 RX-7 if I wanted to
right now, so it's all relative I guess.

>    If it is hard to get for the average racer wether it because of price or
> pure numbers of cars still living the issue should remain the same no matter
> the reason!

        Then let's go out an ban all old and rare sports cars! Morgan? Gone.
TVR? Gone. 356 Carerra? Gone. Shelby Cobra? Gone. Mini Cooper? Gone.
Split window Vette? Gone.

        Come on Scotty, we all play on the same track, and we all play in the
same club. We've got to make a place for anyone who wants to play. You
managed to find a place for yer big ol' Karvette to play. If you feel
there are other "too slow" cars in ASP, then petition to bump 'em down
into BSP with all the rest of ya. ASP is the top of the SP category,
there's got to be a place for all cars. If you would rather duke it out
in BSP with Curt and Shauna, be my guest. Petition the SEB for a
reclassification, I'm sure Curt and Shauna wouldn't mind. ;-)

        I do feel that SP needs another class, but that's a topic for a
different subject line...

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/