Re: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:03:31 -0500
At 09:25 AM 3/22/99 -0600, David Hawkins wrote:

>Every time I ask this question, I get the same answer....it all points to
>ONE
>particular ESP Supra that supposedly is putting down close to 400HP.  I
>have to ask how far this is off of the HP put out by the pony cars in ESP.

A pretty fair amount.  I think an LS1 car with headers etc. could put out
20-30 more than stock.  An L98 car ain't close, we couldn't legally get
300.  But, that really has nothing to do with it.  Fact is a Supra, or
Eclipse or about any turbo car can use extra power.  Whether it be because
of the IRS in a Supra, AWD in a DSM, or the fact they aren't that torquey.
But, F-bodies and Mustangs will always be at a handicap (all else being
equal like HP, weight, wheels) just simply because they have a huge live
axle that can do nasty things.

>Considering that the Supra and F body cars are about equal in HP in stock
>form, and the Supra is a porker of a car from the factory,

And a Camaro/Firebird is 3400 pounds too.  A REAL light Mustang *could*
maybe be around 3200

I have to wonder
>about the true disparity when both cars are taken TO THE FULL EXTENT OF
>THE RULES.

Lemme say this.  As ungodly fast as John Ames' SS (now Steve E.'s car) is,
no-one ever saw it leave 50+ feet of  (315) rubber on good Concrete.  And
that's something to ponder since the Supra has more weight in the ass, and
I can guarantee it launches better, and the SS has a weak 'ol LT4 in
it................

>why not just boot the offending car to a higher class (BSP?  Corvettes weigh
>about the same as a Supra and have about the same power....ASP?

I think it should be a BSP car.  FWIW.  Sometimes the logic totally escapes
me.  A SS Supra is legal for ESP, a Camaro SS (which I thnk should be a FS
car, except for the Eibach you could get) is a Super Stocker and run ESP.
BUT, my good old 82 280ZXT is a VERY uncompetive FS car, but yet is
soooooooo scary it gets to run in ASP.

 The Supra
>will have more power than some of the others, but it has a weight penalty
>also).
>Fuel Cut (yes, that's going to be a sore point with me for all time) and
>exhaust
>are NOT making fire breathing class overdogs out of EVERY turbo car.  Let's
>reclass the ones that are, and get on with it.

I agree.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
800-729-1831