Re: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@wilcom.com>, <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>,
Subject: Re: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:29:49 -0600
> Protesting:  If the turbo has the stock casing and part number
>stamp..fine.  Its probably stock.  But after that you would need a teardown
>to determine if the compressor/turbine wheels are stock (not hard, and lots
>easier than a motor teardown)

While this is true, I have yet to see a turbo modded with a bigger wheel
that did not have the inlet casing milled out to accommodate the greater
flow characteristics of the new compressor.  This is a simple case of
pulling the intake hose off of the turbo to verify the housing inlet
diameter.
Putting a bigger wheel with a stock inlet will get you little gain on most
cars.

David Hawkins
93 MR2T ASP retired
85 MR2 CSP