Re: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: "K.C. Babb" <kcb4286@hps13.iasl.ca.boeing.com>,
Subject: Re: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:22:45 -0600
>Of course an alternative path of action is to simply be conservative
>in the classification of turbo cars, taking into account the maximum
>level of optimization including likely boost gains.  That might be a
>reasonable alternative.  Letters are encouraged, whatever your view.

I have to ask, then...isn't this the case NOW?

The MR2 Turbo and RX-7 TII run in ASP.  The RX-7TT runs there,
but hey, you can't put it any higher.   The DSM Turbo runs in ESP
with the Supra....against all the fire breathing pony cars.

I just don't get the sudden attention on turbo cars.  First the FCD rule,
now this.  How many classes were won by turbo cars last year?  Is
this a result of the RX-7TT finally beating the Elans in ASP?  Why
wasn't anything done to tone down the Elan when it was running away
with the class?

I'll write my letter, but it's actions like these that drive folks away.
I packed up the turbo MR2 last year because it had little chance
of ever being competitive in ASP.  Add the FCD rule and it has
NO chance...and now if you clog the exhaust, it has LESS than NO
chance.   I like to autox, but the tightening of rules against turbo cars
with no corresponding changes to choke down on the NA cars was
enough to beat me back to the regional level.  I won't be at any divisionals
or national events this year.  The future will hinge on what I think of the
85 in CSP, but I miss driving the 93.  If I had the time, money, and vehicle
that I could go crazy on, I'd build a turbo to the extent of the rules...
unfortunately, with fuel cut in place, it's limited to 13psi (stock is 10,
so I
can get a whopping extra 24HP from boost).  With cats in place, you'll
be lucky to see 11psi...8 extra HP.

David Hawkins
93 Mr2 turbo ASP retired
85 Mr2 CSP/ITA