RE: Road Racers vs Autocrossers

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Road Racers vs Autocrossers
From: Michael Piera <Tesec@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 09:12:12 -0500
Howdy,

First, congrats to Team Seattle's win at Daytona!!!!! AWESOME!
I will never forget the BMW factory team's pep talk before the
race, after being beaten for the pole by team Seattle -
"This is where we want to be!" - Boris Said did not seem to believe him ;-)

Rick Brown <rikracer@cwix.com> replied :

> Also check what their safety requirements are.  Some marque
> clubs are very loose.

PCA is tightening up, although they were not loose in the past.
Roll bar (need cage if car is modified), fire bottle, RACE SEATS (no more
stock seats) with seatback brace, window net, full racing suit with
multiple layers, nomex underwear, Snell '95 SA helmet, kill switch,
etc (from off the top of my head). They do not require a fuel cell, which
most Vintage racing groups do require (but vintage racing does not
usually require a full roll cage in modified cars...).
I extended my welded-in roll bar to a full cage last month, and have a fuel
cell on order. So I should be able to run with any club now for road
racing or solo-I.

PCA club racing is a very good way to go racing but there are starting to
be problems with people bending the rules in the stock classes.
We dont really have mid level prep classes, once out of stock it
is basically Mod class - only classed by displacement so impossible
to cheat. Bring an 18 wheeler and crew to compete. (Hi Scotty!).

See some vintage racing pix and stories by me and Paul Foster at :

http://members.tripod.com/~analogman/glen5050.htm

Regards,

mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S Targa, '73 911RS Replica

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars  www.analogman.com