Re: Scott Cristie's Series III Restoration

To: Ohan Korlikian <yvrcanada@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Scott Cristie's Series III Restoration
From: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 14:20:16 -0500
When I lived in Victoria BC I had my Tiger dipped using this same
process. The company was called Redi-Strip, and they were out past
Esquimalt on Craigflower...sorry, it's been a long time since I was in
Victoria. Several other listers have recently mentioned Redi-Strip type
outfits in various locations in the US.

The process is a series of caustic baths (some HOT) and washes which
remove paint, vinyl, rubber, any non-ferrous metal (so you must remove
aluminum and pot metal bits beforehand, or it will do it for you). Most
body filler will come off as well, but really well applied filler may
take a little extra work after. The result is as you see in the photos
of Scott's. Prior to release of the cleaned body, they spray it with
some sort of very light oil which prevents surface rusting for quite a
long time. I cut a damaged piece off my car and put it outside. After
two months there was no rust...even in Victoria.

There has been some mention of liquids weeping out of the frame some
time later, and damaging the finish. I don't know what these peoples'
experience is with the process, it may well be just fear mongering, but
I have had two cars done this way and have NEVER had weeping. The
companies I used had a good clean-out stage before final oiling, and it
certainly worked for me. By the way, the other firm I used was in
Mississauga (just west of Toronto) in 1996.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays to all

John Slade
Manotick, ON

PS.  For Ohan..I have a S IV with a 1725cc motor and fully synchro O/D box.