Starter problems

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter problems
From: "Phil Beckman" <phil@opentext.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:42:21 -0400
I'm having an intermittent problem with the starter on my TR6.  It seems
that it periodically gets "stuck".

The majority of the time, I get in the car, flick the key and the cars
starts right up.  However, ocasionaly I get in the car, turn the key and
hear a faint click but the starter does not engage.  If I pop the hood
and whack the starter a couple times with a wrench and then try starting
the car again the starter engages and the car fires up.  I've replaced
the solenoid thinking perhaps that was the problem but a new solenoid
made no difference.  I've also made certain all the connections to the
starter are tight and that the wires themselves are in good shape.

The problem does not seem to follow any particular pattern.  Sometimes
it will be "stuck" when I first get in the car to drive it.  Others I'll
have been running errands all afternoon starting and stopping the car a
number of times before it suddenly decides it needs some encouragement
before starting again.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what the problem could
be.  I'm reasonably happy to buy a new starter if that's what it takes
but I don't want to do that if there's an easier solution.

Phil Beckman

73 TR6