RE: Starter Problems

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starter Problems
From: "Jim Farris" <jfarris@troy.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:40:38 -0500
Phil, Grego, & Irv,
I have the same problem with a 73 TR6 with a 69 engine.  The "non-start"
problem happens once out of a hundred starts guaranteed when you have on a
long sleeve dress shirt or drive the car at night. My son and I used Dan
Master's book to go over every wire in the circuit.  We have had the starter
out of the car several time - of course it always works perfectly on the
bench.  The problem did help to diagnose a failing ignition switch.  We even
tried a hot wire with a switch under the hood - they don't sell many
switches at Radio Shack that can handle that load.  Our solution has been to
use a screwdriver or metal test lead to jump across the wires on the
solenoid.  Works EVERY TIME indicating a wiring problem - that is why we
looked at the ignition switch.

So, Irv, where is that starter relay?

Thanks,
Jim Farris