Re: Starter problems

To: "Phil Beckman" <phil@opentext.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter problems
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:07:42 +0000
From: "Phil Beckman" <phil@opentext.com>

> The problem does not seem to follow any particular pattern. Sometimes it will
>be "stuck" when I first get in the car to drive it. Others I'll have been
>running errands all afternoon starting and stopping the car a
> number of times before it suddenly decides it needs some couragement
> before starting again.

> I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what the problem could be. I'm
>reasonably happy to buy a new starter if that's what it takes  but I don't
>want to do that if there's an easier solution.

On my car, it was an internal break in the starter relay. Most of the time my
car was fine, sometimes nothing happened when I turned the key. One day while
working on it, I accidently discovered that if I held the white/red wire on the
starter relay (this is from memory, I think it was the white/red) a certain
way, the starter engaged every time. I replaced the relay.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL