Re: 74 TR6 Timing

To: "Gary R." <gary@tpartners.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 74 TR6 Timing
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
I can throw in my $.02 based on some real-life
experimenting over the last coupla weeks:

I have a 74' TR6 with the thermal vacuum retard switch
long gone. The vacuum retard was connected directly to
the manifold. I have a stock fan set-up (but a new
radiator).

With the timing at 4 ATDC and the carbs tuned, the car
would overheat in summer traffic in Houston. After
maybe a minute in traffic, the needle would shoot
right up to like 15/16 on the temp gauge.

With the retard disconnected and the timing at 12
BTDC, the temp gauge never climbs above 3/4 in
traffic. Perhaps it's my imagination, but in general
the car seems to be idling/running better. No pinging.

So, if you don't the thermostatic vacuum switch or it
isn't functioning perfectly, I would disconnect the
vacuum retard and set the timing to 10-12 BTDC.

William
'74 TR6