Re: 74 TR6 Timing

To: "Keith Meinhold" <keith@navyboy.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 74 TR6 Timing
From: "Terry Geiger" <twgeiger@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:02:57 -0500
Keith,
According to the TRF book, your '76 does not have that particular thermal
switch (located in the upper radiator hose).  According to TRF, cars CC75000
(1972) thru CF35000 (1974) would have the thermal switch.  Your car does
have the vacuum retard unit and the vacuum is applied at idle.  I don't know
why Triumph changed their design for your later car.  I believe your '76
would have the air injection pump (my '74 does not) and this added feature
may have been a reason for the design change.  Again, fearing giving a bad
answer I'll defer the question to those who know your particular year better
than I.

I did find a reference in the archives about overheating at idle due to the
thermal switch:
http://www.team.net/html_arc/6pack/200111/msg00047.html

Regards,
Terry Geiger