[Mgs] MGB factory V8 propshaft

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Tue Mar 28 01:46:45 MDT 2017

As explained these are standard Nyloc nuts, that fit just fine elsewhere,
and other nuts that fit just fine elsewhere also jam on the same bolts. It's
the bolts that are the problem, not the nuts.

'Prevailing torque' bolts are interesting, not something I'd come across
before, so thanks for that.  They would fall into the category of "an oddity
with the gearbox flange bolts" which is what I asked originally, but no one
else with experience of these cars has mentioned it or any other oddity.
These bolts are at least 30 years old (the PO did have the gearbox rebuilt),
and quite probably original to the car at 43 years old.  They have a special
round head with a dome on the end and a flat on one side to lock to the
flange when tightening, and interestingly the bolt pictured lower left in
the group of examples does appear to have that type of head albeit without
showing a flat.  One of the things I am going to try tomorrow is to see just
how much effort is needed with a spanner to get them on.