Re: Lime Rock

To: "Roger Sieling" <Rogsie@telesistech.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Lime Rock
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:25:27 -0400
I find all of this so very interesting!  At VARAC we have an ongoing and
ever-entertaining debate on eligibility of different types of cars, with
some touting a relaxed, "let everybody race" attitude, and others defending
the faith of era-correct preparation and so on.  I tend to change sides at
random just so that I get maximum enjoyment from the debates (although I
also tend to stick up for whatever will get more racers out to play, which
to me is a very important point).

The point is that VSCDA is the club most often put forward in our
conversations as the paragon of how exclusivity can actually work well -
and for the unusual car crowd, it sure does seem to foster a great
presentation of older, period prepared and unusual cars.  While I support
VARAC's middle of the road approach I think that the diversity of clubs and
racing venues is pretty healthy over all - and I'm glad that VSCDA gives a
great home to a bunch of old crock cars to run, cause we seem to have
pretty much lost them in our entries and I think that they should be
preserved, encouraged, and exercised!

Cheers, Brian

At 08:14 AM 09/15/2000 -0400, Roger Sieling wrote:
>Daniel and Mark,
>
>I used to belong to VARAC a few years ago, when that was the only way to
>get tires for my Lotus Eleven, but being in Ohio makes participating with
>either group a bit difficult. I know there is Pittsburg and I've been
>there a number of times as crew or just to watch, but if I hit a curb in
>the Eleven and break one of my rear wheels I'm sunk. I still enjoy racing
>with my Canadian friends, but after a few years I began to concentrate on
>SVRA events. It only took one HSR race to determine that my Eleven didn't
>belong there. Then SVRA began the distinct change after its sale in 97.
>After the 1999 Mid-Ohio and filling the ears of every SVRA official I
>could find, I decided to do a wait-see for Watkins Glen that year. When
>the same class structure and race groupings appeared on their web site,
>just prior to the race, I canceled my room and stayed home. Extremely glad
>I did. I still have fond memories of WG'98. This spring I joined VDCA and
>have enjoyed racing with many of my same f!
>riends at a couple of their events. The VIR Reunion was great with their
>slightly loosened classes. I have a couple formula cars I want to start
>running, one a Lotus 20/22 ( also excluded by VSCCA's date cut-off) and
>the other a car too new for VDCA. Looks like I have to belong to several
>clubs to run the cars I wish. I also miss racing at Mid-Ohio, very badly.
>
>By the way Mark, I was trying to be kind in describing VSCCA's lack of
>inclusion of those vulgar cars. I'm seriously thinking of doing the Summit
>Point Turkey Day event in the 20/22. We were visiting in the area last
>year and stopped by to see how it was, and were impressed.
>
>Roger

>With all the
> > change & turmoil that some of the other organizations have had, I treasure
> > the stability of VSCCA and the fact that they pretty much stick to their
> > principles.  Most of their events are refreshingly low-key.
> >
> > Hope this helps you to understand the situation.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mark Palmer
>

>VARAC is a very stable oraganization, they stick to their principles,
>and their events are as low-key as they come. They also allow Bugeyes,
>provided they are not tube-framed, tube shocked, 1275 engined monsters.
>
>Thanks for trying to explain. I get the picture: VSCCA is stuck up ;-)
>
>Daniel

Brian Evans
Director, Strategic Accounts
UUNET, A WorldCom Company