Re: MGA Wheel Failures

To: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: MGA Wheel Failures
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:04:50 -0500
When I built my MG Midget, I had a set of wheels made by Weller in England,
sourced through Vintage Tyres here in Toronto.  Very nice, period looking
steel racing wheels (lighter than normal steel road wheels, but not as
light as Panasports).  Point is that I had them custom made as to offset
and PCD, but they still came in at $100 CDN each, delivered.  Possibly
that's an option...

Brian

At 08:48 PM 11/01/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Simon Favre wrote:
> >
> > It's not just the MGAs and Triumphs. The older Alfas are having
> problems too.
>
>We've had a number of Alfa wheel failures here in New England. They
>crack in the hubs around the studs. Not surprising - we had that happen
>in the 60s using Goodyear Blue Streaks!
>For the Alfas, a switch to the pricey Technomagnesio 5" X 15" alloys is
>acceptable for VSCCA, but at $2K/set, not many have made the switch! I
>have a set of Panasport 5.5 X 15s on my Alfa, but they had to be custom
>machined to fit. I suspect Panasport could have a similar wheel for
>MGAs. What about the new "Minilites" from the UK?
>
>--
>Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA
>hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.fotec.com/jim/jim.htm
>jeh@fotec.com              http://www.fotec.com/
>All generalizations, with the possible exception of this one, are false!

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company