Re: MGA Wheel Failures

To: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Subject: Re: MGA Wheel Failures
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 20:48:46 -0500
Simon Favre wrote:

> It's not just the MGAs and Triumphs. The older Alfas are having problems too.

We've had a number of Alfa wheel failures here in New England. They
crack in the hubs around the studs. Not surprising - we had that happen
in the 60s using Goodyear Blue Streaks!
For the Alfas, a switch to the pricey Technomagnesio 5" X 15" alloys is
acceptable for VSCCA, but at $2K/set, not many have made the switch! I
have a set of Panasport 5.5 X 15s on my Alfa, but they had to be custom
machined to fit. I suspect Panasport could have a similar wheel for
MGAs. What about the new "Minilites" from the UK?

--
Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA
hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.fotec.com/jim/jim.htm