Re: MGA Wheel Failures

To: Mark Palmer <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: MGA Wheel Failures
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 15:28:42 -0800
It's not just the MGAs and Triumphs. The older Alfas are having problems
too. Most clubs requiring factory wheels are already restricting the
Alfas to the Borrani steel wheels, because the other brand was weaker.
Now the Borranis are going too. CSRG racer Felix Chiu tore one out at
the lug holes. He stopped on track and got carried in by the tow truck.
Ditto Tom Sahines, but his failure was spotted in the pits. Both had the
seams between the outer rim and center disk welded up. and the failure
was in between the lug holes. I think clubs are going to have to deal
with this issue at some point, because sooner or later, all the factory
wheels will have been used up. If a supply of properly sized (i.e. tall
and skinny) alloy wheels can be made available, I think all clubs should
be pressured into allowing them. I don't know of a good solution for
keeping the center part around the lug holes together.