Re: Bed liner for tow vehicle

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bed liner for tow vehicle
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 21:20:51 -0500 (EST)
>I just bought a new pickup as a tow vehicle and intend to install a
>bedliner to protect the pristine white finish from all the Lotus oil and
>grime :-)
>
>Now the question is which one. My friends in the construction trades
>swear by the drop-in poly liners since they can replace them easily and
>heavy objects like compressors slide easily, and trapped moisture
>doesn't seem to be a big problem here in AZ. But, I have a few friends
>that are equally convinced that the spray-in (Inyati and RhinoHide) is
>the only way.
>
>Any ideas, experiences, or opinions?

>--------
>Brett Engel                            PSO Engineer
>Cisco Professional Services
>(602)-912-1852                 bengel@cisco.com
>Cisco Systems                  Suite 120
>2390 E Camelback Rd                    Phoenix, AZ 85284
>---------

Having worked in car dealerships and body shops, I've seen many, many truck
beds.  The problem with drop-in liners isn't trapped moisture.  They just
rub the paint off of the contact points with the bed, and the cheaper ones
warp badly. It is true that things slide in easily, but that also means
they slide AROUND easliy.  But they are relatively inexpensive, and
replaceable. When my parents bought their new truck, I convinced them to
spend a little more money and get a RhinoLiner.  It has been in for two
years, and doesn't even have a scratch. Very tough stuff.  If you like, you
can even get them in colors other than black.  Not only does that look
nice, but it might stay coooler too out there in the sun.  I'd do the
spray-in liner. A word of caution:  Shop around, because there are a lot of
people out there sparying all kinds of goo into truck beds, and they are
not all alike.  Because of the nature of this process, you'd better get it
right the first time, because you can't take it back out if you don't like
it.