Re: Corner stations

To: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Corner stations
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:18:25 -0500
Let me add an impression from The VSCDA Vintage Fall Festival of the corner
worker stations at Road America that are re-arranged due to CART mandates...

Many of the stations that are any where near the track are behind massive
sections of chain link fence, with a small cut out that supposedly allows
the corner workers to "flag" through the holes. One result of this is that
it's much harder for the eyes to pick up the white uniform as it's very well
camoflauged behind chain link.

Coming into 5, a virtual fence tunnel, they've moved the station up the
hill. The workers I talked to complain that it doesn't give them a good view
of oil, etc. on the track down in the corner. So, in a later session, they
took to standing in the open... not even behind a barrier, at the corner,
diagonally across from the apex. While this method provided far better
visibility for the drivers, it placed the corner workers at great risk.
Frequently the big horsepower guys... especially old Allards & such will
lose their brakes as they come in hot and end up pinballing between the
walls. There must be a better solution to corner worker placement in this
instance.

To ever consider running an enduro such as took place at the Glen without a
full compliment of corner workers is completely insane.

Last weekend,  I ran the 1 hour enduro on Saturday in my 948 Sprite. The
field had at least 60 cars... everything from IMSA Mustang Cobras to FV's.
Lap time differentials of over a minute, and average speeds ranging from 68
mph to 103 mph. I witnessed some of the best fast driving I've ever seen in
a number of years in racing. Despite a large field and the huge speed
differentials, the field drove smart, safe, and fast... sorting itself out
admirably. It can be done safely.

WST