RE: "Vintage" Racing

To: "Susan and John Roper" <vscjohn@huntnet.net>,
Subject: RE: "Vintage" Racing
From: "John Brosius" <john@pregridmotorsports.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 14:52:39 -0700
This has been a very interesting discussion. Being a past competition
director for SOVREN, I had the unpleasant task of informing fellow
competitors that their actions had gotten them points. I made sure that an
infraction committee was set up of drivers with extensive racing experience
in vintage and previous SCCA National events. The committee therefore had
members on it who were known for their speed and safety. They would listen
to the offenders explanation of the event and then inform him/her of their
decision.
 I drive a Tiger and rarely put two wheels off or spin. When I do though, I
realize that I have driven beyond my or the cars ability and that is poor
driving. In vintage, when I'm racing around fellow vintage drivers I leave
plenty of room to pull out of situation where someone may not give you
enough room or not be aware that I'm there. Vintage should be that racing
arena where we, as competitors, give each other plenty of room to race and
not push the envelope.
 Now if you must push that envelope, I suggest you reconfigure your car to
go race SCCA where it is much more acceptable to dive into a corner, fight
for position, and try and squeeze every tenth of a second out of your car in
qualifing and the race. I've done that, rarely spin, but I do push the
envelope and have had competitors try to take me out or off the track. The
racing is hard but a lot of fun because it take even more skill to not get
hit or hit someone in that arena; you just have to drive real well to pull
it off. It is not Vintage racing though!! Better yet try Pro Racing. I was
told in my first race to watch out for the European drivers because they
will put you into the wall if you get in their way. That message definately
got my attention and I kept my eyes wide open. That is too much work to be
vintage but if you have to win your races then that might be the place for
you. Everyone I raced against in these last two senario's were committed to
driving as hard as they could which makes them reasonably predictable. Not
so in vintage racing. I believe we need to make room for alot of different
skill levels. If your good and fast you will be able to get around the
person in front of you without intimidation. Vintage racing is supppose to
be fun for spectators and racers.
 If you screw up and go off or hit someone, I hope your club takes action
against you and reports it to the VMC so we in other clubs know when a loose
cannon wants to go off at our event. If you get those points I would hope
that you would work on improving your skill set so as not to go off again,
hit someone, or maintain a reputation as someone that the rest feel you
aren't safe to race around. Lets remember it takes a lot of skill to drive a
vintage car well AND HAVE FUN!!John Brosius