Spins and offs

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Spins and offs
From: VEENET@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 20:48:24 EDT
You can't have hard line , black and white "rules" .....Example: Last year at
Sears Point as I  exited turn #10  I found a car sitting sideways across the
track directly on my line.My choice was either to T bone him, or go "4 wheels
off" to the left. I took the obvious choice ,went into the dirt, kicked up a
whole lot of dust, fishtailed a bit, kept it straight and under control and
got it back on the track and put my foot back in it towards turn #11.
What's the call folks?.....Was I a bad guy for going 4 off? Do I need points?
Do I need to be "talked to? Do all the vintage clubs need to be warned about
me?
Or was I a good guy for avioding a big wreck?....
I'll tell you this, my friend who was sitting sideways in the other Vintage
formula Ford, watching me come at him walked up to me afterwards and said
 "thanks, good driving!"
My point in all this is to point out that having a hard and fast rule does
not always make sense. Just because some one puts a wheel off on occasion
does not make them an unsafe driver...I've seen drivers who never put a wheel
off, or ever even approach a spin that are extremely unsafe. Going slow,
obviously unsure, unpredictable and not really in good control of the car...
If someone is repeatedly screwing up then they need to be talked to for sure.
But lets all try to relax a little about all this..
All this of course is nothing more than my opinion.....
Be safe...
Jerry Burr
Lotus 51
Devin special