"Vintage" Racing

To: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>, <Bahnseye@aol.com>,
Subject: "Vintage" Racing
From: "Jim & Ann Brown" <thebrowns@pdq.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 08:55:52 -0500
Greg Solow writes,

-----Original message-----

> I have to disagree about the "two off" and even "four off"  Racing is
about
> pushing the envelope.  To plush the envelope it is necessary to explore
the
> limits.  It is very possible to maintain control and go two or four off
> because for a brief moment at a certain point you found you were going to
> fast for the conditions. I believe that there is a very big difference
> between being  "out of control" and  "driving you car off of the pavement"
> because that was the "safe and incontrol" thing to do at the time and
under
> the circumstances.
>
> Greg Solow
------------
I will say this for the above posting -- it appears to clearly define the
ultimate question underlying this interesting and valuable thread.

To say that in vintage racing "four off," standing alone, does not amount to
being out of control, absolutely misapprehends, in my opinion, the
fundamental difference between "vintage racing" and "racing."  The word
"vintage" has been read out of the equation.

In a couple of hours all will stop in our household while we huddle around
the TV to watch modern Formula One race cars driven by professionals roar
around the Nurburgring.  We fully expect to see one or more of these race
cars go out of control as the envelope is pushed just a micro-tad too far.
That is what these fellows are paid to do, and they are well paid --
arguably the most highly paid athletes in the world.

They are paid to put their race cars and their lives, and the race cars and
lives of other drivers on the course, at risk.  As just one example, it
would not surprise me in the least today should one of these highly skilled
professional drivers, Jacques Villeneuve, lose control of his car at the
Nurburgring.  It happens all the time, yet he is an ex-World Champion.  He
has proven his driving skills.  His father drove in the same dramatic and
devil-may-care way, and when Giles, a truly great driver, went 11/10 just
once too often, he paid the ultimate price.

When, however, I pay for the privilege of being Walter Mitty for a weekend I
do not intend to put my car at risk, my life at risk, other drivers' cars at
risk or their lives at risk by doing stupid things-- repeat, by doing stupid
things.  Nor do I expect that of other drivers on the track.  I very much
hope that next weekend when I am at the Texas World Speedway we do not have
another driver sharing the contrary views expressed in the above posting,
which I just could not let go by without a response.  I would not even want
to be a spectator within rebound range.  I am proud to observe, by the way,
that if we have such a driver in our club he or she has restrained his or
her impulses very well.

Forgive the length, but this is now down to the nitty-gritty.  Pray do not
misunderstand, accidents do happen even when the greatest of care is taken.
But when a vintage race car driver believes it is acceptable to drive
irresponsibly, I, for one, do not wish to share the race track with him.

All the best,

Jim Brown
Houston