Re: I'm always willing to learn

To: DonJQueen@aol.com, cobra@airmail.net
Subject: Re: I'm always willing to learn
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 13:23:22 EDT
In a message dated 9/9/99 10:25:06 AM Central Daylight Time,
DonJQueen@aol.com writes:

<< Consider this a challenge. I really do want to learn, but the definition
you
 suggest does not exist in Merriam Webster or any other dictionary I can
find. >>

I'll take the challenge---

The Oxford English Dictionary (all 15 volumes), on page 992, defines
Corinthian as:

"A wealthy amateur of sport who rides his own horses, steers his own yacht,
etc."

This term was used to describe Vanderbilt and Briggs Cunningham in their
America's Cup efforts and has been expanded to include those of lesser wealth
who actively compete for the love of the sport, not for money, sponsorship,
etc.

That should be more than anyone would every want to know about Corinthian
(leather or otherwise)  ;-)