LRP Weekend

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: LRP Weekend
From: Richard W Waite <acace@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 12:53:45 -0400
As usual, highs and lows. Unfortuneately the lows were real low as a good
friend and fellow racer Bill Davis dropped dead of a heart attack just
after a practice session on Friday.  Bill had restored the prototype Elva
Mark IV over a five year period and was still working out the bugs.
Although realtively new to vintage racing, Bill had raced SCCA events in
the 70's.

For the highs, sort of, I got to race in the pouring rain (Group A).
Predictably the hot shoes spun off at Big Bend at the start letting some
of us radial tired  folk have a chance at glory. However, a couple of
others in front of me were sliding around so much it took a long time to
get by and I couldn't gain much on the leaders. Started in 15th, ended
around 8th. I think.

Once I was thoroughly soaked (the only part of me dry was my feet and the
top of my head) it wasn't too bad. Visability was the main problem. Not
knowing who was on what lap I lost my one chance of finishing ahead of
Bill Hollingsworth as I thought he was going  to  lap me but in fact he
was trying to catch up due to a spin. I slowed to let him by....mistake..
To give you an idea what a big difference rain and tires makes, Bill's
dry lap times are 9 sec faster than mine but in the wet were pretty near
equal.

An added bonus was several drivers and spectators who spoke to me later
and gave a thumbs up for sticking it out. Kudos from your peers are worth
a lot.

Dick  '52 MG TD #580