RE: Passing

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Passing
From: "Chamberlain, Warren" <Warren.Chamberlain@kla-tencor.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:40:46 -0700
Mike Jackson wrote:

<snip>
>  On the other hand, most of the really bad passing I've been involved with
> has been in the
> back of the pack.  I think mostly it is those folks that just haven't been
> in
> the seat long enough to have what I call the "movie in their brain" slow
> down
> to normal speed.  They simply aren't aware of everything around them and
> they
> don't know what their car will and will not do.  And there is no way to
> gain
> that improvement other than racing.  <snip>

        Actually, there are out-of-car techniques for slowing down the
"movie in their brain" (I call it reducing the sensation of speed). I've
written an article about understanding and controlling the sensation of
speed, which can find seen the URL below.

        http://www.kartracer.com/tech/drive-speed-index.html

        I know the writing needs to be cleaned up, but comments /
suggestions about the content are always appreciated.

        Warren Chamberlain

        PS I also wrote an article about learning new tracks. It's at
http://www.kartracer.com/tech/drive-reference.html