Re: 66 Mustang Questions

To: dlftfcu@netzero.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 66 Mustang Questions
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 17:06:35 EDT
In a message dated 5/26/99 6:18:21 PM !!!First Boot!!!, dlftfcu@netzero.net
writes:

<< Hi everyone.  I am looking for some advice on my 66 Coupe.  I am located in
 the Bay Area and have decided to fate my Coupe to the racing circuit.  My
 first dilemma is whether to set it up as B production or Trans Am (I recall
 reading about some 66 coupes in the series).  This car is basically a shell
 so I am starting from the ground up.  The next consideration is brakes and
 an engine.  I know that some of the Shelby B-prods in the North West are
 using 1969 351 Windsor heads, what about the rest of the motor.   Or is
 there a 300 ci cap?  I also know that Shelby used the larger rear drums from
 the galaxies, but what about the front?  I am just getting started so before
 I get too far along I thought I would have a plan (I know, why).  Any help
 is greatly appreciated.

 Darrell Ford

Darrell-

Rear axle with 9" diff as well as big brakes
Recall that TA cars had alum trunk doors and hood
Front brakes same as later cars with 4 pot calipers.
Limit of 302 cu so 69 heads on 289 or 302 block (be sure to get centering
washers for head bolts as 351w heads have bigger holes)

Most of the above can be disregarded as the TA guys probably use better
brakes and heads these days anyhow. Best bet is to talk to some guys running
both classes before you invest.

Hope your last name has a connection as it gets expensive quick to build a
car from scratch...
           Nick in Nor Cal