Re: 66 Mustang Questions

To: dlftfcu@netzero.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 66 Mustang Questions
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 16:33:46 EDT
Darrell;

How you build the car should depend to a great extent on who you plan to race
with.  Different vintage organizations have different rules regarding
eligibility.  For example, your car could be eligible for CSRG or HSMA, but
there it would need to be prepared to a '66 or '67 point in time.  That would
mean no roller rockers, and basically stock brakes, among many other things.

If you want to run with VARA, SCCA, HSR (west), Green Flag, NASA, or the
Shelby Club, you have much greater flexibility in how you prepare it.

Before you spend too much on restoration and hardware, I take the time to
look into the various rules and requirements.  Some guys have shown up at
CSRG events, for example, only to learn that while they might get to run 1 or
2 events as-is, they then have to undertake costly conversions on whatever
isn't in the spirit of the rules.  This can apply to engine, transmission,
suspension, brakes, interior, and even paint scheme....so it pays to research
it first.

Some suggestions on where to go for information include Victory Lane Magazine
for contacts at the various clubs mentioned, as well as articles and
advertisements.  I'd also suggest you attend a number of different clubs'
events, and talk to the people running Mustangs to find out what they do.

Good luck,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128